1. Each week, fights will be selected to predict on.
2. Players must select the winner of each bout and how the fight will be won (via KO or Decision).
3. Players will be given 1 point for selecting the correct fighter and an additional 2 points for picking for the correct outcome (via KO or Decision).
4. In the event of a DRAW, no points will be rewarded. In the event of a win by disqualification, 1 point will be given for the outcome of the fight.
5. Seasons will last 3 months, with a new champion crowned quarterly. Champion will be determined by overall amount of points. 1st tiebreaker is overall winners selected. 2nd tiebreaker is overall KO’s predicted.
6. The buy in is $5 per week, with money paid out every 3 months. WINNER take all. Late comers winnings will be prorated accordingly.
7. Quarterly winner will receive one free month of membership to Toperia Boxing Club.
8. Let the games begin!!!
Week 1 - Nonito Donaire vs. Toshiaki Nishioka, Mike Alvarado vs. Brandon Rios
Fight Like Matt: I'm taking Rios, can't wait to see him at 140. I really think this fight could go either way though. Donaire because he's just a beast. Rios via decision. Donaire via knockout in the 8th.
Fat Baby: I'm going with Donaire because he's part of the Garcia camp. He usually looks really impressive in all his fights. Also he has the power to KO any one at that weight. Donaire via KO. Even though Rios is the underdog, he has a lot to prove because his last fights were unimpressive, he's missed weight, and he's fighting in a new division. This is the kind of fight he's been wanting. I think he can pull it off. He has also been out of the spotlight which makes me think he's been taking this fight really serious. Everyone is going for Alvarado, but I'm a Bam Bam fan until the end. Rios via KO.
El Pinche Juan: Donaire by KO in the later rounds. I saw Nishioka fight Marquez and he seemed to struggle at times with him. I feel like if Donaire had to fight that version of Rafael Marquez he would have put Marquez away in a few rounds. Donaire looks very confident and even posted a pic of himself eating wings yesterday, a sign to me that he is confident and comfortable. The pressure of being in his first big fight along with the fact that Donaire is a better fighter will cause Nishioka to fold in the later rounds. Alvarado via Split Decision. Both dudes are evenly matched so you either gotta flip a coin or try to over analyze stupid bullshit. In that case I feel like Rios looks like he is having another hard weight cut and has not been his same hyper self to the press. Mike on the other hand has been soaking up all the attention of being in his first big fight. It will be a war but the little things make a difference. I feel like it will be clear Mike won but because it is in Cali Mike will win by Split decision.
5-2 Alvarado over Rios and unanimous picks for Donaire over Nishioka. Tune into HBO Boxing live at 8pm ET on Saturday Night for all the action. Good Luck.