1. Denver is tiny, especially when you have a big family (or at least a big extended family). Small world, big family. I can’t go anywhere with a member of my family where they know at least one person or are related to someone. Only in my family can you go to a wedding and somehow be related to members of both the bride and grooms party.
2. I feel like once women get to a certain maturity level, they never regress. Like once they are at a certain level, that’s who they are for the rest of their lives. Not the case for men, for the most part at least. We slide up and down the scale until the day that we die.
3. Speaking of the weddings, I went to a wedding with my mom this weekend and sure enough she knew more than a few people. Funny thing is she saw a woman at the wedding with who she had some kind of beef. I’m talking well aged beef, like the 15 years ago variety. If this beef was at Morton’s, it’d be listed at “Market Price”. That’s how aged this beef was. I wonder if I’ll ever go to a wedding in 25 years and see some guys who still doesn’t like me from something that happened in our thirties. Only time will tell.
4. Lastly, to close out talk about the wedding, I hate taking my mom to weddings because EVERYBODY thinks we're together and I gets NO play. Now, I’m not suggesting that I would be getting play were she not there, but I’ve got to believe that my chances would have to go up. Proof? As soon as mom said she was my mom, this girl at our table was all "Oooh, I like your sweater." My mom went home early, but in all reality I still didn’t have the green light to try and talk to any girls. What would it look like if all the sudden I start hitting on women at the wedding only when my perceived date had left? I was in a lose/lose situation.
5. Our union still hasn’t went on strike so I haven’t gone to Oregon as planned, yet. As an act of solidarity, the union members often wear red tee shirts with the union’s logo on them. Paired with the khakis most men wear to work, it looks like I work at Target when I take a glance around.
6. After church on Sunday, we had lunch as a family as is customary. We dined at a local Italian restaurant where pizza and calzones were ordered which sparked the conversation of “Is there pizza in heaven?” Let me put it this way: I don’t know if there is pizza in heaven but if there isn’t, then I don’t want to go.
7. An episode of cops was filmed in my dreams last night. They caught the guy they were chasing for blowing up a car after he fled on a bicycle.
8. I’ve said before that a true relationship does not start until either a joint bank account or joint cell phone plan is established. Having said that, it breaks my heart a little that I am considering adding a line to my cell phone plan for my mom before I have for a potential spouse. I swear we aren’t as close as it seems.
9. In fact, when my mother once caught wind of the assertion that I might be a “momma’s boy”, she quickly called to tell me "You better not be a momma's boy, I'll whip your ass if you are. You go out there and be a man. That's what I raised, a MAN."
10. The concept and reasoning behind the need to pay for a 1”x1” sticker to put on the back of your license plates every year will forever escape me.
11. I struggle with cursing. Lots of people do. Last night in class I tried to convey this point system where the “F” word is worth 3 points and all others are only 1 pointers. Each day I’m trying to score less and less points, like golf if you will. Someday I will shoot par for the course.
12. My teacher is preaching at my church this Sunday and asked us what he should wear since we know the demographic and feel of the church better than he does. When I suggested that he need not to wear a suit, he replied back by saying he only wears a suit on two occasions: If he’s “marrying you or burying you”. I like this guy, Sunday ought to be good.
13. As humans, we must mold ourselves to the truths in life and not mold the truths to ourselves.
14. You know the song “It's my party, and I’ll cry if I want to”? What was that girl crying about? I’ve never really listened to the entire song but I’m guessing it must have been pretty bad. It was something specific too, she says “You would cry to if it happened to you.” If only there were some kind of computer based search engine I could use to figure this out!
15. I don’t know why but for some reason I can’t get into the Halloween spirit this year. Maybe it’s because it’s on a Wednesday this year? Maybe because I have no plans yet? I kind of want to carve a pumpkin but that just sounds messy for not enough payoff.
16. I’ve decided that I will fight in the 2013 Golden Gloves tournament under the tout ledge of Coach Topo, much to the she grin of my family. I figure when I’m 80 and I look back on life, I want to say I did everything I wanted (or could). Try to live with as little regrets as possible.
17. Speaking of, I often come across a picture online that reads “Don’t regret anything because at some point that is exactly what you wanted”. That’s one of the single most selfish things I’ve come across on the bizzaro place the internet is. Regrets, in this case, happen because sometimes you mature enough that you know even whatever caused the feeling wasn’t right…even if you wanted it. Unless of course you are a man and live on the sliding maturity scale, then all bets are off.
18. I’m going to my first regular season Broncos game this Sunday night and can’t think of who to take. I feel like a high school boy looking for a prom date.
19. My mom claims she wants more grandchildren, which means I have to produce them, but only for the opportunity to say she has more grandchildren. I don’t think she really wants to take care of them. No buyers remorse with babies.
20. Today they made an arrest in the Jessica Ridgeway case, the arrest of a 17 year old BOY. Not a man, but a boy. We need to take more time to speak life into this next generation, a generation that has become desensitized to so much. Two families have lost children in this tragic case. I’m praying for both of them.